Skip to main content

Scottish Welfare Fund

Community Care Grants

A Community Care Grant can be given, if you qualify, to help with costs if:

  • you're leaving care or prison and need help to start a new and settled home
  • you've been homeless, or living an unsettled life such as sofa surfing, and need help to set up a new and settled home
  • you need support to stay out of care like a hospital or a homeless unit
  • you're caring for someone who's been released from prison or a young offender's institution
  • you're experiencing great pressure and need help to keep your home to a livable standard or you require an item such as a washing machine and you are incontinent
  • you're escaping domestic abuse and need help
  • a child's health is at risk due to not having a settled home or essential items like a washing machine for their clothing, or a suitable bed for the child to rest

Your income

To get a Community Care Grant you need to be on a low income - this doesn't mean you need to be on benefits.

What is a low income?

There is no figure that will be used to judge whether you have a low income. As a guide, if you're on one of the benefits below, or your income is about the same as someone who is, and/or receive housing and/or council tax benefit then it's more likely you'll be able to get a Community Care Grant:  

  • Income Support
  • Pension Credit
  • Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA) - Income based
  • Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) - Income based
  • Universal Credit

Your savings

If you have savings of over £700, or £1,200 if you get a pension, you'll be less likely to get a Community Care Grant, we may ask you to provide evidence to support your application.

Page last updated:
17 Oct 2023

Help us improve this pageClose

We're sorry this page didn't meet your expectations this time. Please let us know if you have any feedback to help us improve the content.

If you have a question or comment about a council service or would like a reply, please contact us.

Thank you for your feedback