Skip to main content

Scottish Welfare Fund

Crisis Grants

A Crisis Grant can be given to cover the costs of an emergency.

Examples of this may include when:

  • you have had a fire or flood at home
  • you've lost money
  • an unexpected situation has occurred
  • you're a victim of domestic abuse and you need help with things like moving away from an abuser
  • you're a grandparent or other relative who has taken over caring for a child, and you're waiting on a transfer of benefits
  • you're facing a gap in your normal income because of a redundancy or change at work
  • you have just been released from prison

Your income

To get a Crisis Grant you need to be on a low income - this doesn't mean you need to be on benefits.

What counts as a low income?

We determine what constitutes a low income. As a guide, if you're on one of the benefits below, or your income is about the same as someone who is, we would consider that you have met the condition of being on a low income:

  • Income Support
  • Pension Credit
  • Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA) - Income based
  • Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) - Income based
  • Universal Credit

What help will I get?

If you do get a Crisis Grant, will look at helping you with your most urgent living costs. These include:

  • food
  • heating costs for pre-payment meters


Page last updated:
17 Oct 2023

Help us improve this pageClose

We're sorry this page didn't meet your expectations this time. Please let us know if you have any feedback to help us improve the content.

If you have a question or comment about a council service or would like a reply, please contact us.

Thank you for your feedback