Skip to main content


Register a stillbirth

To register the stillbirth of your baby you need to make an appointment at one of our registration offices within 21 days of giving birth.

If your child is stillborn in Scotland you can register their stillbirth at any registration office in Scotland.

If the stillbirth happens elsewhere, it cannot be registered in Scotland even if the mother usually lives in Scotland.

Documents to bring

  • the certificate of stillbirth from the doctor or midwife
  • the marriage certificate of the child's parents if married to each other, if this is available

You can give your stillborn baby a name, but you do not need to.

Documents we will issue

  • a certificate of registration of stillbirth to give to the undertaker
  • one extract, or copy, of the entry if requested, which is free of charge

Page last updated:
11 Aug 2020

Help us improve this pageClose

We're sorry this page didn't meet your expectations this time. Please let us know if you have any feedback to help us improve the content.

If you have a question or comment about a council service or would like a reply, please contact us.

Thank you for your feedback