To register the birth of your baby you need to make an appointment at one of our registration offices within 21 days of giving birth.
If the father's name is to appear on the birth certificate and the parents of the baby are not married or in a civil partnership with each other, they must come together to the appointment
If your child is born in Scotland you can register their birth at any registration office in Scotland.
Documents to bring
- the birth registration card from the hospital
- your marriage or civil partnership certificate, if you have one
Documents we will issue
- a short version of your child's birth certificate, which is free of charge
- a form to register your child's birth with your family doctor, which is free of charge
- the full birth certificate if you require it, which you will need to pay for