Discretionary housing payments

What are discretionary housing payments?

A Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) is an additional payment over and above Housing Benefit to help towards housing costs.

There is a cash limit that we can spend in each financial year and we cannot exceed this. However, for under occupancy cases, the Scottish Government provides full funding to cover the shortfall.

Who can apply?

Anyone, who is currently in receipt of Housing Benefit or Universal Credit and is struggling to meet their full housing costs, can apply for a Discretionary Housing payment.

How do I apply?

DHP application forms are available in all First Stop Shops. Alternatively, you can download an pdf icon Discretionary Housing Payments application form [94kb] or request a form to be sent to you by using the 'Contact us' box.

When would a discretionary housing payment be considered?

From 2013/14 the Department of Works and Pensions (DWP) provided additional funding to assist those affected by welfare reform in respect of Under Occupancy Charge, Benefit Cap and Local Housing allowance reforms. North Lanarkshire council has supplemented this fund to the maximum permitted under current legislation.

A to Z of services