Apply for planning permission
How much it will cost and how to pay
Planning fees are set by the Scottish Government. In addition to the set planning fees, local authorities have discretionary power to introduce additional categories of payment and to reduce or waive fees in certain cases.
Where a fee is required, your application or request will remain invalid until the fee is paid.
To calculate how much your planning application will cost, please use the ePlanning.scot Fee Calculator.
A separate additional fee, not part of the application fee, will be charged for paper and retrospective applications, and where an advert is needed. The additional fees are detailed below.
Payment should made at the time of submission. You can use the proposal-sharing option to allow another person to pay.
Advert fees for planning applications
A separate additional fee, not part of the application fee, for the advertisement of your proposal is required if you are applying for a certain class of development as identified in Schedule 3 of the Town and Country Planning (Development Management Procedure) (Scotland) Regulations 2013.
An advert fee may also be required to advertise the proposal if there are no premises on neighbouring land or if the landowners are unknown, or the proposal is a departure from the development plan.
The advert fee for most applications is £135.06, however in some circumstances the fee may be higher. We will advise you of any advert fee required on receipt of your application.
Property history search
- Planning Application History for a Single Property £150
- Certified Copy of Decision Notice: £50
- Certified Copy of Decision Notice including Plans (Householder, Local and Advert Applications): £100
- Certified Copy of Decision Notice including Plans (Major Applications): £200
Surcharges for paper applications
- Major applications: £180 plus VAT (20%) (£216)
- Non-householder/Local applications: £80 plus VAT (20%) (£96)
Surcharges for retrospective applications
- Effective from 1 November 2022: 25% increase in planning application fee plus VAT (20%) on surcharge sum.
- Major pre-application enquiry: £1000 plus VAT (20%) (£1200)
- Local pre-application enquiry (Other than Householder Developments): £500 plus VAT (20%) (£600)
- Householder pre-application enquiry: £65 plus VAT (20%) (£78)
- Single House pre-application enquiry: £200 plus VAT (20%) (£240)
- Commercial developments and change of use pre-application enquiry (Maximum Floor Space 500m²): £200 plus VAT (20%) (£240)
- Listed building pre-application enquiry: £65 plus VAT (20%) (£78)
Find out more about pre-application advice.
Request to vary a permission (S64 - Non-Material Variation of a Planning Permission)
- For applications submitted on or after 1 April 2022: £200 plus VAT (20%) (£240)
Written confirmation of compliance with a condition and discharge of a Planning condition (Conditions Discharge)
- Per request. Each request can cover more than one planning condition on the same planning consent: £100 plus VAT (20%) £120
- £10 plus VAT (20%) (£12)
Reduction of fees
- 'Not for profit enterprises’ and ‘social enterprises’ as defined in Section 41 of the Planning (Scotland) Act 2019: Planning fees reduced by 50%
If you are unable to pay at the time of your planning submission or if you want to make payment for additional services, you can make payment to our bank account. Please quote the application reference number or address the payment relates to.
Quote your reference number and address
It is essential you quote the application reference number or address the application relates to.
Account name: North Lanarkshire Council General Fund Account
Sort code: 83-07-06
Account number: 11627156
If you do not have internet banking, please email us your contact details and we will get in touch to take a card payment.