Skip to main content

Planning Enforcement Charter

What is not a breach of planning control?

Planning enforcement can only be used to address a breach of planning legislation.

Permitted development rights allow some alterations and extensions to be carried out without the need for planning permission. Where work doesn’t require planning permission, or is considered permitted development, we do not have legal powers to act as there is no breach of planning control.

Other matters that are not controlled through planning legislation are:

  • Boundary disputes and/or title deed enquiries
  • Dangerous buildings
  • Noise nuisance, including noise on construction sites unless specifically controlled by a planning condition
  • Public health nuisance such as drainage issues resulting in the discharge of sewage or wastewater, accumulations of refuse which could provide harbourage for rodents or smells coming from commercial premises
  • Fly-tipping
  • Flooding or blocked drains on roads, pavements or footpaths

Appendix 4 in our Planning Enforcement Charter document gives information on who to best contact regarding other legislation that may address some of the points noted above.

Planning Enforcement Charter document

Page last updated:
10 Apr 2024

Help us improve this pageClose

We're sorry this page didn't meet your expectations this time. Please let us know if you have any feedback to help us improve the content.

If you have a question or comment about a council service or would like a reply, please contact us.

Thank you for your feedback