Skip to main content

Check if you need planning permission

Some projects can be carried out without the need for planning permission.

Permitted development rights allow some alterations and extensions to be carried out without the need for planning permission. For more information on what is permitted development, please see the following Scottish Government guidance: 

If your enquiry is about trees, work to trees or high hedges, please see our information on trees and high hedges.

If your property is a listed building or if you live in a conservation area, there are additional controls. For more information, see our information on listed buildings and conservation areas

Due to the high volume of enquiries we get, we are unable to respond to individual requests asking if planning permission is needed or not.

To get free impartial planning advice you can contact Planning Aid Scotland. Planning Aid Scotland is an independent charity which offers free, impartial and confidential planning advice, provided by staff and volunteers all of whom are chartered planners.

A professional agent/architect will also be able to advise you. You should be aware that charges may apply.

Please check the Scottish Government's guidance and/or seek professional advice before starting any work. If you think planning permission is required, then you should make an application.

If, after checking, you are unsure if the proposed work requires planning consent, or if you would like us to confirm if planning consent is not required, you can apply for a certificate of lawfulness. This will provide you with evidence that your development is lawful. You will need to apply online and pay the fee for this service. 

Planning permission does not exempt you from needing other types of consent. A building warrant may also be required for changes to your home, even if the changes you are making don't require planning permission. 

Page last updated:
07 Mar 2024

Help us improve this pageClose

We're sorry this page didn't meet your expectations this time. Please let us know if you have any feedback to help us improve the content.

If you have a question or comment about a council service or would like a reply, please contact us.

Thank you for your feedback