Skip to main content

Check if you need planning permission

Change of use

When you change the use of a building or piece of land you may require planning permission.

If a change in the use of a building or a piece of land means that it falls within another class of use then you may need planning permission. Please see our information on applying for planning permission.

If the change of use falls within the same use class then planning permission may not be required as there is no development or change. Class descriptions and changes permitted can be viewed here.

More Information on use classes is published by the Scottish Government.  

If, after checking, you are unsure if the proposed work requires planning consent, or if you would like us to confirm if planning consent is not required, you can apply for a certificate of lawfulness. This will provide you with evidence that your development is lawful. You will need to apply online and pay the fee for this service. 

Page last updated:
21 Dec 2023

Help us improve this pageClose

We're sorry this page didn't meet your expectations this time. Please let us know if you have any feedback to help us improve the content.

If you have a question or comment about a council service or would like a reply, please contact us.

Thank you for your feedback