Skip to main content

Check if you need planning permission

Planning permission to lower a kerb

You only need planning permission for lowering kerbs that are on classified roads.

A classified road can be identified on a map by the A, B or M prefix. 

While you may not need planning permission to lower a kerb, you will always need a roads permit where the kerb is part of a public footway. For more information please see our information on roads permits and permissions.

If planning permission is needed, you should always check that a roads permit will be given first.

If you are planning to lay a hard surface or create a new driveway please see the Scottish Government guidance on householder permitted development for laying a hard surface outside your house. This permitted development information is for houses only and doesn't apply to flats.

Page last updated:
21 Dec 2023

Help us improve this pageClose

We're sorry this page didn't meet your expectations this time. Please let us know if you have any feedback to help us improve the content.

If you have a question or comment about a council service or would like a reply, please contact us.

Thank you for your feedback