Skip to main content

Check if you need planning permission

Short-term lets (Planning)

Planning requirements for short-term lets

You may need planning permission for using a building as a short-term let.

Every case is different and, for example, it may be more likely that planning permission is required in the case of a let within a flatted block, while in the case of other types of property, it will depend on setting, location and level of related activity.

However, there is no automatic rule, and we still must look at each case individually to establish whether there is a material change of use requiring planning permission.

Certificate of Lawfulness

To ensure you are following the planning requirements, we recommend that you apply for a Certificate of Lawfulness (a certificate can be applied for a proposed let or for one that is already in place).

This will allow us to look at the case on its facts and come to a decision on whether your short-term let is a material change of use and therefore whether it would need formal planning permission. If we conclude it is not a material change, we will grant a Certificate of Lawfulness. If we conclude it is a material change, then formal planning permission will be required and, in our response, we will let you know what further information we would need from you. 

Further information on the planning system is provided by the Scottish Government.

Please note - this advice covers short-term lets under planning legislation only. Information is also available about the Licensing of short term lets.

Page last updated:
21 Dec 2023

Help us improve this pageClose

We're sorry this page didn't meet your expectations this time. Please let us know if you have any feedback to help us improve the content.

If you have a question or comment about a council service or would like a reply, please contact us.

Thank you for your feedback