This work is being carried out by ScotRail with help from SPT and Transport Scotland and started on 29 June 2020.
We are working with these organisations on the proposals for Motherwell Rail Station.
The work will create:
- improvements to the station including its building and making the entrance area bigger and brighter
- new ticketing and passenger facilities
What's happening now at the station?
ScotRail have appointed Balfour Beatty to carry out the work at Motherwell Rail Station.
The third phase of the work started in August, this involves:
- the station forecourt and internal concourse area being widened
- the platform access road being removed and a new retaining wall built
How will this effect users of the station?
You will still be able to use the station when the work is being done, but now:
- a temporary ticket office has been located outside the main station building
- blue badge parking spaces have been moved to the Pollock Street car park, next to the GLO Centre
Work on platforms 2 and 3 is nearly completed. New staff and passenger waiting facilities are being built and the existing stairwell improved. This provides access to the platforms during Phase 3 of the work.
The first phase of the work, which involved demolishing an old building at the bottom of Platform 1 and building a new staff car park, is finished. Work on the main station building and platforms started in August 2020.
What's happening next?
- phase 3 of the project is expected to be finished in spring 2022
- the work will be done in phases over 16 months
- it’s expected that the work will be finished by June 2022