Skip to main content

Child protection

Children and young people

If you don't feel safe, speak to someone who can help you.

If you are concerned about yourself or another child or young person speak to someone.

This might be a teacher, GP, social worker, police officer or member of staff from our social work locality offices (if the social work offices are closed, phone social work emergency services on 0800 121 4114).

Or phone Childline on 0800 11 11.

Talk to an adult you trust. This might be your mum or dad, another relative or a family friend. 

If the person you speak to does not listen to you, or does not take you seriously or is not able to help you, then speak to:

  • your teacher
  • your doctor or school nurse 
  • a social worker
  • a police officer 

In an emergency

If you or a friend need help contact the police or social work right away.

To contact the police, call 101, or 999 in an emergency.

Your rights

Scotland's Children's Commissioner campaigns with and on behalf of young people.

It's the Children's Commissioner's job to make sure children and young people in Scotland have their rights respected.  You can find out more on the Children's Commissioner's website.

If you are in care or involved in a child protection matter, Who Cares Scotland will help you make sure your views are taken into account.

You can get advice on Scot's law as it relates to young people from the Scottish Child Law Centre

More information

Here are a few websites that contain information you might find useful:


Advice and information for children and young people as well as real life stories, celebrity interviews and the chance to have your say by taking part in online polls.

Think U Know

Information on staying safe online, using mobiles and other new technology from the Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre. Find out what's good, what's not and what you can do about it. There's also a place where you can report if you feel uncomfortable or worried about someone you are chatting to online.

Scotland's Commissioner for Children and Young People

This website is for children and young people in Scotland. It's a place to learn about your rights, make your voice heard and find out whose job it is to help you live safe and happy lives.

The Hideout

This is a website has been created by Women's Aid to help children and young people understand domestic abuse and how to take positive action if it is happening to you or your family.

North Lanarkshire Child Protection Committee

Regent House
9 High Patrick Street

Page last updated:
14 Feb 2024

Help us improve this pageClose

We're sorry this page didn't meet your expectations this time. Please let us know if you have any feedback to help us improve the content.

If you have a question or comment about a council service or would like a reply, please contact us.

Thank you for your feedback