Skip to main content

Housing benefits

Change in circumstances

What kind of change in circumstances should be reported

If you receive housing benefit and/or council tax reduction, you have a duty to report changes in your circumstances. You must tell us in writing as soon as possible if:

  • your childcare costs increase or decrease, as this will ensure the correct disregard is applied to your claim
  • your (or your partner's) entitlement to income support or income-based jobseekers' allowance ends
  • a child or young person ceases to be a member of the family
  • you change address
  • your rent changes and you are the tenant of a private landlord
  • there is a change in the status of non-dependants in the household for council tax reduction claims or housing benefit claims.
  • your income and/or capital changes
  • there is a change relating to the payment of housing benefit direct to your landlord
  • you receive alternative maximum council tax reduction and there is a change to the number of adults in your home, a change in their gross income or they stop receiving income support or income-based jobseekers allowance

If you don't report a change in your circumstances you could lose benefits that you are entitled to. You may also have to repay benefits that have been overpaid.

For more information, please contact your local housing office.

Page last updated:
22 Mar 2021

Help us improve this pageClose

We're sorry this page didn't meet your expectations this time. Please let us know if you have any feedback to help us improve the content.

If you have a question or comment about a council service or would like a reply, please contact us.

Thank you for your feedback