Skip to main content

Housing benefits

How we work out your personal circumstances

In April each year the government gives us figures to use to work out housing benefit entitlement. These are called personal allowances and premiums.

Personal allowances depend upon:

  • your age
  • whether you are single or have a partner
  • any dependent children you may have and their ages

Premiums are extra sums of money intended to recognise the special needs of:

  • families
  • elderly people
  • disabled people and people who care for a disabled person
  • lone parent families
  • people who have been sick for over 52 weeks or 28 weeks if they are terminally ill

The total income for your household (less any disregarded income) is compared to the total allowances and premiums appropriate for your personal circumstances. If this amount is less than their combined total you will qualify for maximum housing benefit. If it is more your housing benefit will be reduced.

Page last updated:
09 Feb 2021

Help us improve this pageClose

We're sorry this page didn't meet your expectations this time. Please let us know if you have any feedback to help us improve the content.

If you have a question or comment about a council service or would like a reply, please contact us.

Thank you for your feedback