Skip to main content
Close notification
Coronavirus latest

Service updates and advice

Housing benefits


Claiming and receiving housing benefit

Who can claim:

  • you must usually be resident in the property
  • you must occupy the property as your home
  • you must be required to pay rent for the property

Single full time students, or couples who are both students do not qualify unless they or their partner are disabled, have dependent children, or are in receipt of income support. However, non-student partners of a student can make a claim.


Page last updated:
06 Oct 2020

Thank you for your feedback
Help us improve this page Close

We're sorry this page didn't meet your expectations this time, please let us know if you have any feedback to help us improve.