Email alerts from North Lanarkshire Council Sign up to email alerts and stay in touch with the latest council tax news.


Change in circumstances

What kind of change in circumstances should be reported

If you are in receipt of housing benefit and/or council tax reduction, you have a duty to report changes in your circumstances. You must notify us in writing as soon as possible if:

  • Your (or your partner's) entitlement to income support or income-based jobseekers' allowance ends
  • If a child or young person ceases to be a member of the family
  • If you change address
  • If your rent changes and you are the tenant of a private landlord
  • If there is a change in the status of non-dependants in the household for council tax reduction claims or housing benefit claims.
  • If your income and/or capital changes
  • If there is a change relating to the payment of housing benefit direct to your landlord
  • If you receive alternative maximum council tax reduction and there is a change to the number of adults in your home, a change in their gross income or they stop receiving income support or income-based jobseekers allowance

Failure to report a change in your circumstances could mean that you lose benefit that you are entitled to or are overpaid benefit that you will have to pay back.

For more information, please contact your local office.

A to Z of services