These improvements are needed to:
- ensure the roads can cope with more traffic as the site develops.
- support new public transport services
- promote walking, wheeling, and cycling
In December 2017 a strategic business case for the Pan-Lanarkshire orbital route was approved by Glasgow City Region City Deal Cabinet, which included the improvements needed for Ravenscraig.
A revised masterplan for Ravenscraig was approved in June 2019.
Ravenscraig Access Infrastructure North for upgrading the A723 to dual carriageway had already been granted planning permission in 2013.
Since the approval of the revised masterplan and the strategic business case, we have been developing proposals for Ravenscraig Access Infrastructure South and in December 2020 we published details of our proposals.
In summer 2020, we prepared an outline business case which sets out the need for the project and the economic benefit.
The outline business case was approved by:
- our Enterprise and Growth Committee on 27 August 2020
- the Glasgow City Region City Deal Cabinet on 6 October 2020
This was a key stage to enable us to obtain funding from funding from the City Deal Infrastructure Fund for the project.